Difference between revisions of "LiveALPS"
|Line 34:||Line 34:|
[http://alps.comp-phys.org/static/software/LiveALPS/liveALPS-2.1.1-KN-7.0.3-r2.iso liveALPS-2.1.1-KN-7.0.3-r2.iso], remastering of KNOPPIX_V7.0.3CD-2012-06-25-EN.iso .
Latest revision as of 12:02, 21 July 2014
LiveALPS is a Linux distribution based on remastered Knoppix with ALPS project preinstalled. The live distribution is ready to use on a PC without special configuration. It works under graphical mode using light LXDE interface. Using VisTrails program you can run simulations or numerical calculations from tutorials and write your own projects.
The easiest way to run liveALPS is to use ISO file as virtual-DVD and run it under Linux 2.6 virtual machine.
You can use a virtual hard disk to store your simulation data (to format use Preferences/GParted). First of all you should store the hidden .vistrails and tutorials catalogs in /home/knoppix/ after each simulation sesion using VisTrails.
Note for VM VirtualBox: maximize window size pressing right-Ctrl+F (Switch to Fullscreen) and then under liveALPS run Screen Layout Editor (on the task bar) to choose optimal resolution. We also recommend the installation of Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack (e.g. to gain access to physical USB devices).
USB Flash Disk
To run live ALPS from USB disk you need 8 GB Flash disk (recommended), the ISO image saved on your hard disk and the Installer file.
Installation under Windows:
- Download USB installer(related information in Pendrivelinux ) and run it:
- choose Linux Distribution as KNOPPIX V7 (important!),
- browse image download directory and type the file name (liveALPS-<ver>-KN-<ver>.iso),
- choose Flash Drive Letter (flash disk should be erased before or formatted).
- Reboot your PC and set 'Boot Menu' to boot from the USB device.
- Use prompt command like boot: knoppix nosound no3d (to disable the sound and 3D effects), other options in knoppix-cheatcodes.
- Personalization (optional): the live distribution is write-protected, but you can use the rest of flash memory space to store personal and configuration data in an internal folder. Enter the maximum free disk space in MB (max 4096; this operation will not be repeated more). You can encrypt this folder also. The live system will save automatically each changes (e.g. /home/knoppix in /KNOPPIX_DATA/home/knoppix) without your effort, and works like stationary one!
Boot from DVD (not recommended)
You can run bootable liveALPS directly from DVD.
liveALPS-2.1.1-KN-7.0.3-r2.iso, remastering of KNOPPIX_V7.0.3CD-2012-06-25-EN.iso .
- Compressed size: 1 873 934 336 (1.7 GB)
- Md5 Sum: 24cdd27eeff3f6a4d1df891d377a2f57
- system: Linux Knoppix based on Debian wheezy with kernel 3.3.7
- ALPS libraries and applications: 2.1.1