LiveALPS is a Linux distribution based on remastered Knoppix with ALPS project preinstalled. The live distribution is ready to use on a PC without special configuration. It works under graphical mode using light LXDE interface. Using VisTrails program you can run simulations or numerical calculations from tutorials and write your own projects.
USB Flash Disk
To run live ALPS from USB disk you need minimum 2 GB Flash disk (recommended 8 GB), the ISO image saved on your hard disk and the Installer file.
Installation under Windows:
* choose Linux Distribution as KNOPPIX V7 (important!), * browse image download directory and type the file name (liveALPS-<ver>-KN-<ver>.iso), * choose Flash Drive Letter (flash disk should be erased before or formatted).
- Reboot your PC and set 'Boot Menu' to boot from the USB device.
- Use prompt command like boot: knoppix nosound no3d (to disable the sound and 3D effects), other options in knoppix-cheatcodes.
- Personalization (optional): the live distribution is write-protected, but you can use the rest of flash memory space to store personal and configuration data in an internal folder. Enter the maximum free disk space in MB (max 4096; this operation will not be repeated more). You can encrypt this folder also. The live system will save automatically each changes (e.g. /home/knoppix in /KNOPPIX_DATA/home/knoppix) without your effort, and works like stationary one!
Another easy way to run the liveALPS is to use ISO file as a DVD and run it under virtual machine. You can prepare a new virtual hard disk to store personal data.
Note for VBox: to change window size press right-Ctrl+C (Switch to Scale Mode) and then under liveALPS run Screen Layout Editor (on the task bar) to change resolution.
Boot from DVD (not recommended)
You can run bootable liveALPS directly from DVD.
Recent image: liveALPS-2.1.1-KN-7.0.3-r2.iso (Jul 26, 2012), remastering of KNOPPIX_V7.0.3CD-2012-06-25-EN.iso .
- Compressed size: 1 873 934 336 B (1.7 GB)
- Md5 Sum: 24cdd27eeff3f6a4d1df891d377a2f57
- system: Linux Knoppix based on Debian/testing and Debian/unstable (wheezy) with kernel 3.3.7
- ALPS libraries and applications: 2.1.1r6176