Provenance Best Practices
Revision as of 15:01, 15 October 2013 by Pkiryl
During the ETH Provenance Challenge we identify some "Best practices" in the production of provenance-rich scientific work.
- use version control for sources and scripts
- commit often
- store the revision number/repository state
- create a directory per figure containing relevant scripts
- store the numbers for the data in the plot in an accompanying text file
- upload raw output
- describe the post-processing procedure that turns raw data into plotted values
- store build information
- store branch, revision number, build time and node.
- any data output should have attributes from where this information can be recovered (i.e. headers of text file, or attibutes in hdf5)
- store runtime settings
- store command line arguments, runtime and node
- link figures to evaluation scripts and data
- if you get the PDF figure, can you go back to the version of code and parameters used in the simulation?